La Raza Group
The Veteran's Project
- To create portraits of Canadian men and woman who served in the Canadian war effort during the 20 th and 21 st Century.
- La Raza Group will create the portraits from contemporary photographs.
- Approximately 20 paintings will be executed in mixed media on paper and mylar surfaces, and hung in shadow boxes. Text works by conceptual artist Sylvia Curtis-Norcross will be woven into the paintings. At the base of the shadow boxes, veteran's artifacts, i.e. medals, letters, early military photos will be mounted on an angled base inside the shadow box.
- This series of work is intended to be exhibited Remembrance Day 2005 and later to tour Canadian war museums, galleries, and cultural house and the Foreign Service.
- It is our wish is to pay homage to the war vets of Canada . These paintings are a testament to their sacrifice and it is this sacrifice that has given us the present day freedoms we enjoy today in Canada .
- This group project has jointly be conceived and produced with curator Clause Breede from The Royal Canadian Regiment Museum in London , Ontario . www.rcrmuseum.ca